Sunday, November 22, 2009

I'm too short for business class....

at roughly 5'9", I've never considered myself tall, but never really short either, until sitting in business class.

My seat was upgraded from Economy to Business for the Bangalore-Dubai leg, and at the same time, moved from a window t o a center seat.

Sitting in the seat while at complete rest and seat in original upright position, my feet don't reach the floor. My back almost doesn't reach the back of the seat, but that is nicely compensated by the fact that the lumbar support is adjustable... quite odd. The seats are wider by probably 4 inches or so, and the arm-rest is twice as wide, which makes "claiming" an armrest from your neighbor unnecessary and almost impossible.

The food.... ok, not great. The OJ is definitely better than Donald Duck. when asked for what I'd like for breakfast, I picked the poached egg with anda masala. It came in 2 courses... fruit plate and bread basket, and then the main course. The watermelon was a bit rubbery and full of seeds, and one of my grapes was a bit mush. The roll was good, and as a second round I had a croissant which was good. The main course I actually didn't eat much of. I had a single piece of chicken kabob, both because it felt/tasted very heavy, and for the fact I didn't want to struggle to get subsequent pieces off of the little stick. I didn't touch the lamb/mutton one at all. The egg was more hard-boiled than poached.

I had another glass of OJ, and the the FA take the rest. Along with the silverware, there as actually a packet with dental floss and a toothpick, but I didn't need it and forgot to bring it home.

The rest of the flight was basically spent sleeping as it was a 4-8AM local time flight.

Packed up quickly and was off for the walk through the DBX terminal.... which is vast. The DBX terminal is bigger than any other terminal that I've been in, and that includes London/Heathrow and CHI/Ohare, or maybe it seemed that way. They basically have a full shopping mall inside there. It was bustling in the morning, and all the shops were open. I was looking for a bit of junk food and found it in a pretty decent sized store that had everything from perfume to powdered milk. I picked up some Hunters(Pringles) and a couple containers of the little Kinder surprises for Lauren, hopefully I wouldn't squash them on the way home.

I sauntered through the rest of the terminal both to find my gate and a restroom. After finding a restroom, I was annoyed... there was a line. Apparently they designed it so that about 10 gates shared a single men's restroom. And inside were 3 stalls, no urinals. And of those three stalls, one was a stand/squat hole in the ground variety. My stomach wasn't doing great, but I bore through the 10 minute wait as there were about 6 people in front of me. The wait was patient, but I could hear some of the damage that was being done before me and it wasn't a pleasant wait.

There is tons of people waiting in the lounge-style chairs that are in the terminal, and very difficult to find an open seat. There is free wifi, so I sat, and attempted to make a VPN/sip call to bethy which didn't work out so well, but chat and a vid-cam feed from Hayward was good enough for about 20-30 minutes.

About 45 minutes before the flight, I piled into line and checked down into the gate.... 16 hours to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment